Monday 16 November 2009

Jan van Oostrum

************************

This November, 7th and 8th ,
the book arts fair,
took place in Leyden (The Nederlands)
like every year.

St. Peter Church,
now detached from faith and tied this weekend to reason,
it is an absolutely fascinating building for this event.



Artists books,
calligraphy,
bookbinding materials,
and diverse activities
fill the ancient sacred place with life .

JAN REIN VAN OOSTRUM
was the protagonist of one of them:

a marbling demonstration.




He devotes himself to do these demonstrations all around Europe.

Demonstrations that provide an enormous pleasure to him,
you already could see his concentration and that of his public.





I met him in Belgium last April,
in Sint Nicklass fair.

He invited me to attend how he marbles one of his papers
and, from then on,
I knew that Jan loves marbling at least as much as I do.

I met again him at the fair of Cologne.



But I could only manage to do these photos in Leyden,
where I could also share a little bit of chat with him.

I very much like what he does, how he does it and why he does it.

And the next time, if he wants, I’ll make a video of him.


A cordial greeting, Jan.

No comments: